All States and Territories have legislation that provides safeguards for commercial tenants. They require the landlord to:
- Provide the tenant with details of a demolition, refurbishment, redevelopment or extension
- Provide the tenant with adequate notice prior to termination due to demolition or relocation
- Provide the tenant with the option to terminate the lease in the event the landlord wishes to demolish or relocate
- Pay the tenant’s reasonable costs should the tenant be required to relocate
- Pay expenses, which are capital in nature
- Pay land tax.
These provisions require the tenant to seek the landlord’s consent to make alterations to a premises.